Heaven is Just One Step Away
Well, okay. Maybe more than just one step–but not many more! I got this amazing cake recipe from my father-in-law’s wife, Shari, and even though it looks and tastes like something gourmet, it couldn’t be easier. It was so easy, in fact, that I had to beg her to tell me. She was embarrassed by the easiness. I’m not embarassed, though–I’m thrilled.
I’ll call it Shari’s Embarrassingly Easy Heaven Cake. You’ll need:
1 box of chocolate cake mix (and the eggs and oil required)
1 canister of Cool Whip (or other whipped topping)
1 jar of caramel sauce, like you’d use for an ice cream sundae
2 Heath candy bars, chopped (most grocery stores also sell pre-chopped Heath chunks where the chocolate chips are)
- Make the cake according to the directions. Let it cool completely in the pan, on a wire rack.
- With a wooden spoon, stab random holes into the cooled cake. Then pour the caramel sauce over the top so that it flows into the holes, and also forms a layer of caramel over the top of the cake.
- Spread a layer of Cool-Whip over the caramel. I find that Cool-Whip is easier to spread if you stir it up first in its container.
- Top with the Heath bits. Chill for about and hour, then serve.
- When everyone is oohing and ahhing over this dessert (we all had seconds), take a bow.
Of course there are infinite ways you could change this recipe. You could use fudge sauce instead of caramel for a chocolate overload, and mint chips or nuts instead of Heath bars. There’s loads of room for tampering. What else can you think of? If you try it, let us know how it comes out!